As a non-profit organization, moonlight · institute depends on members, employees and volunteers working together to realize our vision of a just and equitable future. We also believe that in order to have high-impact we need to create safe spaces of belonging for our members. This policy outlines the eligibility criteria for membership and the criteria by which membership may be suspended and/or terminated.
We may update this policy from time-to-time by posting a new version on our website, subject to approval of the Board of Directors.
Membership in moonlight · institute shall be awarded at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Any individual wishing to become a member must minimally meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Support the mission of moonlight · institute
- Be on the professional staff, a contractor, a volunteer, an advisor, or otherwise supporting the work of moonlight · institute, including financial support
- Agree to abide by all policies and procedures governing moonlight · institute including but not limited to the Code of Conduct and the Code of Ethics
- Pay dues, as determined by the Board of Directors, on an annual basis
- Granting of membership would neither reasonably appear to be a conflict of interest, nor negatively impact the integrity of moonlight · institute and/or the work of the organization
Eligibility criteria may be updated at the discretion of the Board of Directors, subject to ratification by the membership at a General Meeting.
Membership in moonlight · institute is not open to the general public. No individual shall be automatically registered as a member. All memberships shall be awarded upon request and are subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
There is one type of membership: Individual Member.
Membership Rights and Responsibilities
Individual Membership responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act in accordance with all ratified policies and procedures governing moonlight · institute.
- Attend scheduled meetings of the full membership as often as possible
- Be respectful of the rights of all other members, staff, contractors, volunteers, advisors, and any other individual they may interact with in their capacity as a moonlight · institute member
- Advise the Board of Directors as soon as reasonably possible if they no longer meet eligibility criteria for membership or if they wish to resign their membership
Individual Membership rights include, but are not limited to:
- Receive notice of, attend and vote at all meetings of the membership in accordance with the Bylaws of the organization
- One vote at General Meetings of the membership
- Access to the members area of moonlight · institute website and/or services
The rights and responsibilities of Individual Membership in moonlight · institute may be updated by the Board of Directors, subject to the ratification of the members at a General Meeting.
Transferral of Membership
An Individual Membership is not transferable to another individual and may only be transferred back to moonlight · institute.
Suspension and/or Termination of Membership
The moonlight · institute Board may suspend or terminate membership if an individual no longer meets the eligibility criteria of an Individual Member and/or is found to be in violation of the policies and procedures of moonlight · institute. Dues will not be refunded in the event of suspension or termination of membership.
Any member determined by the Board to have their membership suspended or terminated shall be notified in writing by the Chairperson, along with reasons for the decision. The member shall have 20 days to respond to the notice. If no such response is received, the decision shall be considered final and binding to the member, and notification of the decision shall be communicated to the member by the Chairperson. If a response is received from the member within the 20 day period, the Board will have an additional 20 days to consider the response and communicate their final decision to the member. Once a final decision has been made and communicated, there is no further right of appeal.
A membership will be considered terminated automatically upon notification of an individual member’s death or resignation and/or if the membership expires.
Upon suspension and/or termination of membership, all rights and privileges of membership, including any rights in the property of moonlight · institute shall automatically cease to exist.
In the event that moonlight · institute is liquidated and dissolved, all memberships in the organization will be considered null and void immediately.
Membership is free but dues may be set at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
moonlight · institute is committed to the inclusion of any eligible individual and will not deny an individual’s membership due to an inability to pay the full membership amount. A discounted rate may be utilized, or dues may be waived altogether, at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
|2021-03-21||v1.0||Initial policy approved by members at SGM|